Sustainability is our responsibility.
And we embrace it.
We all have a stake in protecting the planet.
Firebirds is a “conscious organization,” one that strives every day to look at our activities with a fresh eye, and to do the right thing in response. This ethic of responsibility affects the way we treat our team members, our guests, our communities, investors, vendors – and the environment.
How does our environmental consciousness express itself? In ways big and small:
- We use sustainably harvested wood. In addition, we help reduce particulate levels by ensuring that our wood has been thoroughly dried prior to use.
- We serve only sustainably raised salmon and trout. We have made it abundantly clear to our suppliers that we have no interest in contributing to the depletion of global fish stocks.
- We recycle our fryer oil and – to the extent possible – the fat drippings from cooked chicken, chicken wings and ribs. Great progress has been made in recent years to prevent kitchen waste from harming the environment, and we will be at the forefront of adopting those practices and technologies.
- Our carpeting is made in part from repurposed materials. The next time you visit a Firebirds, look down; you might be walking on a recycled commercial fishing net.
- We use rechargeable candles and have switched from plastic picks to recyclable wooden ones. Sure, these are small things, but they quickly add up across our growing family of restaurants.
- Firebirds recycles crayons and wine corks. This is important because the wax from crayons is not biodegradable, and because cork can be repurposed in endless ways.
- We have reduced our number of printers and the amount of printing we do. This not only conserves paper resources, it reduces the number of used ink cartridges we send to landfills.
- When going paperless isn’t an option we use recycled paper. Moreover, our goal is to use only papers with 100% post-consumer content.
- Many of our wines are organic and/or biodynamic. We are tremendously excited to offer our guests these kinds of options, because not only are they better for the environment, they’re closer to the earth, or “terroir,” in which the grapes are grown.
- Firebirds is transitioning to 100% cage-free eggs by the year 2018.
- We are committed to sourcing only chicken certified by the Global Animal Partnership (GAP), and require all chickens to be processed in a multistep controlled atmosphere system by 2024.
Let’s be frank: We can do more. And we will do more. Because that’s what it means to be a good citizen of the planet, a responsible member of society, and a friend of our communities. Please visit this page regularly. We’ll keep you updated on our progress.